Saturday 14 October 2017

What if I Want to Mirror End-of-Life CentOS?

I wanted to make a local mirror for some personal systems running CentOS 5.  It is now EOL, and I didn't mirror it before that happened.  It is easy to mirror an EOL release from Debian or Ubuntu, but CentOS doesn't make it easy.  In fact it seems impossible, but I don't know if that was the intention.

The CentOS team keeps EOL releases at vault.centos.org.  But unfortunately, that is the same server that worldwide mirrors connect to for current releases.  And according to https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreatePublicMirrors, you cannot sync from that server because they have restricted access to only the known public mirror IP addresses.

Well, fuck.  I can't use vault.centos.org and I can't use any of the worldwide mirrors - because they don't keep EOL versions.  So, for anyone wanting to create their own mirror, it's up to luck.  I guess today I was lucky.  I found a site that keeps older releases AND which lets me rsync (there are only a few and most do not support rsync access).  It is at kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id/Centos/.

Well I am thankful for the existence of a 3rd-party mirror, but it really bugs me that CentOS has locked people out of mirroring their own official source for EOL releases.  I might complain if I feel like it.  But if they don't fix this bug, I shall make sure to grab the next current release before it goes EOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment